Benefits of Graphic Design for Business
One of the most common misconceptions about graphic design is that it’s easy. With all the free templates available online, surely anyone can design their own logo and marketing materials, right?
Yes, anyone can take a stab at designing a logo or social media graphic. You may even be able to get them to look half decent. But whether they will effectively communicate your ideas, speak to your target audience and help build your brand image is another matter.
Graphic design is about more than just making something look good. Good graphic design informs, educates and persuades. It speaks to your target audience and ultimately converts them into customers.
And that’s why hiring a professional graphic designer is hugely important to the success of your business.
of information transmitted in the human brain is visual
of the population are visual learners
What Is Graphic Design?
In its most simplistic terms, graphic design is usually defined as the art of combining text and images to communicate messages.
However, there is much more depth to what graphic designers actually do. Graphic designers don’t just need to be able to combine text and imagery, they need to know their way around a website build and have mastered various forms of technology, including video editing and photography.
Just some of the daily tasks a graphic designer may tackle include:
- designing advertisements, logos, web graphics, website templates and other visual materials requested by a client
- creating mock-ups and storyboards
- designing social media pages
- writing lines of CSS and HTML
- creating email signatures
“Graphic design is complex combinations of words and pictures, numbers and charts, photographs and illustrations that, in order to succeed, demands the clear thinking of a particularly thoughtful individual who can orchestrate these elements so they all add up to something distinctive, or useful, or playful, or surprising, or subversive or somehow memorable.”
In addition to their technical and creative skills, graphic designers also need to be excellent communicators, problem solvers and meet deadlines!
To stay relevant, graphic designers must also commit to the life of a student – always learning new skills and techniques.
Benefits Of Hiring A Graphic Designer
Graphic design is a form of communication between your business and your target audience.
Whether it is through an eye-catching logo or a clever social media graphic, a business uses graphics at every stage of the marketing funnel to persuade its customers to take action. Incorporating well-thought-out design in the following mediums will help you improve and grow your business.
- Logo – Your company logo is the cornerstone of brand recognition. If a logo is designed properly, it will create a positive first impression, establish credibility and separate your business from your competitors. Only a professional graphic designer has the skills to capture the values and goals of your company and establish its visual identity.
- Website – Awesome content will never make up for a poorly designed website. Busy layouts, bland design, hard to read text and confusing navigation are just some of the design crimes that cause users to abandon websites within a few seconds. A good web design company will strategically develop websites utilising the coding skills of a developer and the creative skills of a graphic designer.
- Social media – Using custom-branded graphics in your social media posts strengthens your brand identity and will help you attract a loyal following. Stock images and inconsistent design will not make your brand memorable. Typography, colour, images and hierarchy all need to be considered and applied with the intent to communicate a clear message in an eye-catching manner.
- Marketing materials – Engaging the services of a professional graphic designer will make optimising your marketing efforts across different channels effortless. Consistent marketing leads to credibility, so once you have a strong visual foundation to communicate your messages, you are well on your way to building a recognisable brand.
Got a question about graphic design? Talk to Wollongong Web Design about how we can help you establish a recognisable brand and convert more of your audience into customers.